Friday, September 7, 2007

Now I Stand for Stuff

People sure are ready to pounce on just about anything I say as a sign of what I stand for. I guess it makes sense, what with federalism being the only principle I have on the principles section of my website right now.

So, folks are talking about my call for a constitutional amendment to keep the states from making gay marriage legal. I know, it doesn't necessarily make sense alongside my commitment to federalism, but "principles" have to take a back seat to something that can really galvanize the GOP base. And nothing is going to make the backwoods hicks get off the pews and get in the voting booth faster than the thought of two men kissing at the end of a wedding ceremony.

And I don't know why so many people are chattering about a comment I tossed off in the course of an interview, that public dissent mean "we're going to pay a heavy price for it in the future." Folks, I'm too lazy to suppress your civil liberties. I promise.

No comments: